Position: Advocacy and Communications Officer (Full time)
Level: Project Officer
Type of Contract: Fixed Term Contract
Contract Duration: 03 months (extension applicable)
Application Deadline: 29 September 2019, 23:59
Reporting Date: 6 October 2019
The Maldivian Democracy Network (MDN) is a non-partisan NGO which aims to promote human rights and the values and principles of democracy in the Maldives. We undertake a wide range of activities under our mandate, including awareness raising, monitoring, reporting, lobbying and advocacy. Although based in the capital Male’, MDN is active across the country conducting workshops, trainings, monitoring and advocacy activities in various atolls.
MDN works to support the establishment of a democratic system of governance which upholds human rights, that aligns with the Constitution of the Maldives and the UN Core Conventions on human rights to which the State of Maldives is signatory. We advocate and campaign for the rights of citizens and non-citizens residing in the Maldives, and over the years MDN has earned a place within the civil society sector as a strong voice that works effectively to uphold its mandate. Our programmatic areas include fostering good governance, ensuring the protection of human rights of all, empowering women to participate in public life, and facilitating civic participation of youth.
- Content development and maintenance of MDN websites and social media accounts.
- Monitor media coverage and current affairs.
- Drafting of media material.
- Drafting of research based and / or activity-based reports.
- Attendance of relevant conferences, seminars and working meetings, as required.
A minimum of an advanced diploma or equivalent in visual communication, public policy, social sciences, journalism OR other relevant qualification
At least 2 years of work experience in the public or private sector focusing on public relations, advocacy, journalism, or communications.
Related skills and knowledge
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to develop and implement communications advocacy strategies
• Computer skills, including but not limited to proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and graphic designing. Experience in handling of web-based management systems will be an added advantage.
• Skilled in producing content for social media usage. This includes recording and editing of short videos, audio and editing still images.
• Proficiency in Dhivehi and English languages.
• Knowledge of current affairs, human rights and governance in the Maldives, and preferably in South / Asia
• Working knowledge of the principles of good governance and human rights are required.
Interested candidates are invited
to send an expression of interest, along with a CV and contacts for two
references to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
Please call +960 334 3609 for
further queries regarding recruitment.